Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Changes

Changes to the blog. How do you like the new template? Easier to read? I tried to read my blog with the black background and found it very difficult. Sorry to torment you for so long, but I liked how the pictures looked against the black background. And have you checked out the new links? Gonna raise money and vote for Kucinich?

Changes to life. High Country has been lonely this last week. We moved ashore last weekend into our winter rental and are adjusting to the landlubber’s life.

The first of 8 trips ashore. Who would think we could have all this stuff on such a small boat?!

Our living space increased dramatically from under 200 sq ft to just about 400 sq ft plus bathroom, closet, pantry, laundry area, and front hallway. We are spoiled with such luxuries as refrigeration, hot running water, and a washer and dryer (no more hauling sail bags full of laundry onto the bus). There is ample space to lay out the yoga mat and if we had more patience, we could watch cable TV (having a hard time with commercials). My appliances in the kitchen tripled. In addition to the usual coffee grinder and mini-food processor, I now have a microwave, convection oven, toaster oven, and coffee/espresso maker. We are 1 minute from the beach, 3 minutes from a pine and oak forest with wonderful trails to run on, 25 minutes to town (walking) or 10 minutes biking, and for those rainy days we are on the bus route. I can watch the morning sky change color over Nantucket Sound as I prepare breakfast and we can hear the fog horns on those foggy mornings. Nice to know that we're not so far away from the sea.

Off to school. Before I found the locker room (and shower!) I tried to keep my bicycling to school at a slow pace so as not to sweat too much.

When I’m not spending my days trying to create order in the classroom as a sub, I am out on the boat doing a major cleaning. It IS good to get off the boat once in awhile, if only to give her a good going through and cleaning. Yuck! Mildew of 10 years in some places and enough accumulated dust, grime, and hair balls to clog up every limber hole and bilge pump a 100 times over. And that’s even without a dog!

1 comment:

Bob and Kitty said...

Hey, guys:
How wonderful to catch up with you. What a great new chapter in your life. We are beginning to get glimmerings of what an actual winter will be like ourselves. Going down to the 30s here tonight. Poor little Equinox. We'll be shoveling snow off the decks soon, we expect. Fantastic writing and great pictures. Thanks a lot.
Kitty and Bob
s/v Equinox

Day 61 - Magical Mystery Morning

During the week, Scallion, Luka, and I head out for our run at 6am.  Sundays are my day off, but at 5:50am today, they made it very clear th...