Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Day 22 - "Weeds"

After a year of neglect, my asparagus and blueberry beds were overrun with weeds.  I spent the weekend clearing them away in hopes that the desired crops would forgive me and make a comeback.  In the process though, I made an unintended harvest from those undesired plants!


Dandelion roots, Dandelion crowns, Jerusalem Artichoke roots (left to right)

Not only are dandelions my totem plant, they are delicious too!  Rick and I recently discovered dandelion tea, a surprisingly delicious coffee-like beverage made from roasted dandelion roots.


Dandelion roots drying.

At first, I cut off the beginning plant and just saved the roots for tea, but after leafing through good 'ol Euell Gibbons, I learned that dandelion crowns are one of those wonderful spring treats, a perfect compliment to a dish of rice and beans.



Beans 'n greens + pickled summer squash

Now, Jerusalem Artichokes are beautiful and plentiful, making an excellent, nutty roasted vegetable, but even for us bean eaters here, the digestion of these unassuming little roots is too much and for years, I've withheld the temptation of digging up this abundant and free food source.  To read more on the effects of eating these tubers, check out this article for a lively description of what will befall you should you choose to experiment.  All that being said, I am experimenting and have a jar of sliced chokes fermenting away in hopes that the fermentation process will alter the inulin responsible for JA's digestive havoc.  And what better time to experiment than in this time of social distancing!  (I'm making pickled garlic too!)


Sliced Jerusalem Artichokes beginning their fermentation. 



No comments:

Day 61 - Magical Mystery Morning

During the week, Scallion, Luka, and I head out for our run at 6am.  Sundays are my day off, but at 5:50am today, they made it very clear th...