Friday, March 20, 2020

Day 4 - Foggy Morning


I love foggy mornings.  Good thing too, because we have a lot of them here in Maine!  I'll never forget my first time in Maine.  Rick and I were sailing into Casco Bay in dense fog when Rick alerted me to the fact that our radar was showing a vessel on a collision course with us.  Moments later, we heard the captain of the ship calling out on the radio, something like, "Hey little boat, get the hell out of my way!" (I'm sure the captain didn't use those words, but that is how it resides in my memory).  We tacked and in another few minutes, saw the tail end of a cargo ship pass behind our stern.  Welcome to Maine!

Fog makes the invisible visible.  During the summer, cobwebs come out of hiding with the morning mist erasing their invisibility cloak.  Who knew there were so many spiders in the world?!  Lichens that are unremarkable on sunny days seem to pop off the trees on foggy days.


Fog brings a quality of stillness that is, well, rare these days.  I don't know about you, but I still feel like I'm racing around, even though I'm not going anywhere!  I start my day with good practices, but the rest of the day, my brain is racing with all these new exciting projects I get to work on.  I try and keep up with the never-ending emails and offers for the next great free teaching resource, many of which are valuable.  I jump from email to project to email to webinar and back again and I'm left with a very foggy brain!  I'm looking forward to starting some virtual teaching next week, which will lend some structure to my day, as well ground my efforts, being accountable to another at a particular time.

Like driving through the fog, this is a good time to slow down, if only I could do it!



No comments:

Day 61 - Magical Mystery Morning

During the week, Scallion, Luka, and I head out for our run at 6am.  Sundays are my day off, but at 5:50am today, they made it very clear th...